Sunday, September 20, 2009

Barcelona Inspiring

Spending 3 days in Barcelona might not have been long, but it was enough to see the major attractions, which are mainly Gaudi's architecture. The streets of Barcelona are filled with gorgeous residential buildings with unique balcony and fence designs!

Well, Francesco and I saw Casa Batllo, Casa Mila, Park Guell, Crypta de Colonia Guell, and more, but I'd like to talk more about his masterpiece, La Sagrada Familia. No, it's not that other houses and architecture are of less importance, but going ot the Sagrada Familia gave me an inspiring and fulfilling feeling.

The church itself is still under construction, as it has been since 1882... It projects to finish in 2030, which would be close to 150 years. YIKES. WOW.

Anyway, there are 3 facades in the blueprint, but so far only 2 have been completed (Passion and Nativity), the other one (Glory) just started construction. The interior of the church is very big! Unlike your typical Gothic or Baroque cathedrals, Sagrada Familia is more a representation of modernism. Gaudi uses a lot of mosaic on the exterior of the buildings. Every part of the church, inside and out, you can see so many religious expression, such as Jesus, Mary, Fruits of the Spirit, the 12 Apostles, the 4 Evangelists, Birth and Cruxificion of Jesus, and pretty much just anything you know in the 4 Gospels!

The best part of the visit, in my opinion, was taking the lift up in one of the towers in the facade to get a closer look of the sculptures and design and the view of Barcelona! Just when Francesco and other tourists were looking out on a balcony, I was walking up the tower by myself. The wind was blowing through the small windows. The stairs led up to another higher balcony that looks over Barcelona. And I was by myself. At the moment, I thought.

Wow.

I can't believe I'm actually here in Barcelona.
I can't believe I'm actually in Spain.
I can't believe I actually just went for my dream and did the exchange.
I felt as if I had Barcelona and Sagrada Familia all to myself.
I felt a great sense of joy, peace, satisfaction, fulfillment, and many more.
I was happy.
I did the right choice.
I wanted to cry with joy.

But it was interrupted by Francesco. "Ollie donde estas?"

:P

No comments:

Post a Comment